After a long discussion with my partner, (sadly he gets a vote on the household stuff) These are the rules that we outlined as the compromise. Working towards a better future for ourselves, we are hoping to build up to a point where it just comes naturally. Feel free to make any suggestions, and the rules may be amended to incorporate new discoveries/suggestions.
My smelly rules
We are aiming to buy no physical possessions that are new (with a few obvious exceptions)
The exceptions are:
- Food is a given I know
- Underwear or shoes
- House hold products (Try alternative solutions)
- (In game things do not count but the budget is cut for said items by 50%)
Budgeting and the local community
We are aiming to cut our spending and to move the money we do spend to the local economy. (Man of the house works in a supermarket, so this is a big step for him to boycott it entirely, hence the loophole in the rules)
We aim to do this by:
- Spending no more than £40 a week on grocery shopping this is to include our date night meal whether this is take out or a sit down meal. (Starting 14th March 2013)
- We aim to buy all of our fresh veg, bread and meat from local butchers, bakery and greengrocers.
- Any garden items (plants) are to be bought from a local growing garden centre
- We aim to continue / improve our quality of food
We want to live for tomorrow today.
This can be achieved by:
- Recycling as much as possible
- Reusing bags
- Refusing unnecessary packaging
- Making do and mending or using scraps for something else (up cycling)
- Contacting non-recyclable products and requesting them to do a more environmentally friendly thing
- Trying wherever to decrease our carbon footprint by turning off unused electrical and traveling on foot/bike wherever possible apart from walking to events where standing for long periods of time will occur.
Back to basics
- Try ethically sourcing things
- Buy Fair-trade
- Try making things ourselves
- Stop relying on consumerism
- Try out new things
Failure to comply with these rules will see the following changes:
- No sweet things are to be bought the next week
- No game time is to be played for at least a 24hour period
- Cleaning and tidying where appropriate as agreed as a punishment